S1:E23 Quarantine 15: how to avoid the weight gain
This episode breaks down 4 practical tips to avoid gaining the #quarantine15-- the 15 pounds one might gain while during social distancing and lockdown. While it makes for a good laugh on social media, weight gain can increase your risk for chronic disease. These 4 tips can help you avoid weight gain during this pandemic.
And what an emotional roller coaster this pandemic has us on, right?! You can and *should* be extra kind to yourself during this time, but that doesn't mean you have to give up on your health! Your life had been flipped upside down, but you have been doing this for 2-3 week so you should have a good idea of what life looks like now. Despite all the “what-ifs”,your nutrition is something you have control over.
Keep this quote (which is attributed to various authors ranging from Ghandi to Margaret Thatcher) in mind as you listen and read on:
“Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words they become actions.
Watch your actions they become habits.
Watch your habits they become character.
Watch your character for it becomes your destiny.”
The Four Steps
1. Check in with your mental health
- Check in where you are on the emotional roller coaster, accept it, and do something about it.
- Talk to someone, your spouse, your mom, a friend, a therapist.
- Journal your thoughts and feelings. Need some prompts?--Look online or do a full-on brain dump. Just get those emotions on paper.
- Listen to a podcast, breath, pray, meditate, or exercise to relieve some of that mental stress, tension, and negative emotions.
2. Structure your day and environment
- Create rhythms and routines that fit your family.
- Own your day, own your time, take control, and give yourself grace.
- Bring in foods that meet your nutrition and health goals.
- Create an overall home environment that supports your health.
3. Maintain nutrition and exercise regimens
- Maintain your normal nutrition and exercise routines OR improve them!
- If you're hanging in the backyard more--throw in some exercise. 15 minutes can work wonders.
- Improve your tried-and-true recipes or search for new ones.
- Try to set yourself a weekly goal—a reasonable goal. SMART goals are awesome. Get some pen and paper and test it out.
4. Find support
- Find someone to hold you accountable, keep you motivated, and keep you focused on your health.
- Look outside of your family if necessary.
-Join the Holy Healthy Mama Tribe for this kind of support! You'll obtain a solid nutrition foundation and learn the framework to apply it to your life in this current season. Once you're in the Tribe you'll get direct messaging support from me and group sessions and forum with like-minded mamas. Get on the waitlist--CLICK HERE.
If you enjoyed the podcast, I'd appreciate it if you left a 5-star iTunes review! This will help bring the podcast to more mamas who need some positive messaging and nutrition direction in their lives. Thanks for listening and reading!